Saturday, August 29, 2015

A day at Elliot's Beach-Besant Nagar

Date: 28.08.2015
Everyday my prayer when I step out home would be, Lord, help me meet people with whom I can share something of your love. 
When I started my bike I never thought I would land in Elliot's Beach. My plan was to sit in a library and do my work undisturbed. But I ended up in the beach. 
As I was sitting on the foreshore , I was approached by two little children selling stickers. They asked me to get one. I asked them to sit with me for a while.
A girl, studying 8th std with two elder sister, father being a drunkard and mother a flower seller said she sells these on weekends and holidays. 
A boy, relative of the girl, fatherless, said the same. When I asked them what do they need. They said they need a school bag. "Akka, My school bag is torn. I had to sell these stickers to get one for me". 
I got stickers and got them ice creams as well. When they left, person who sold ice cream asked me why do i need to be bothered about these children? Why not was my question. He said, they do not go to schools. Too many people and ngos have approached these kids and parents yet they failed. All they need is money and some food. They even take away things from the visitors of the beach. 
I am sure its not the fault of the kids. It is the necessity of the parents for the wanting of money. 
I started talking to other children as well. few said they do not go to school. As I was talking I came to know that both their parents drink. These children earn and give their parents. They enjoy getting money,food and what not from the visitors who feel pity with these children. I also heard that the girl children are being abused for money. The girls in their teens and adolescents do it as their way of income. 
There were women who carry babies and beg for living. I really wonder what made them to do it. 
I happened to meet a old woman. she was begging. And when I was talking to a ladyseller. She said, "Akka, this old lady came to me yesterday and said she had got only rs.300 with a great disappointment. I sell these eatables and I don't even earn that". That old lady is a owner of a lorry and two houses. But she never wants to stay in her own house or live happily with the earning she gets from renting lorry. Who is rich here? A beggar? 
Life teaches so many lessons. Are we encouraging people to beg? Are we encouraging/teaching the street kids that education is not very important by giving them the money they want. How is it possible to restore these kids? To intervene with their parents? I approached an ngo and I still don't find an answer.
So many questions are running through my head. Wish someday I will be able to work for these children. Not just to provide them the education but to teach what life is about and to empower them as a giver and not as a receiver for life time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment